Since the 12th century the “Veste Lostorff” has been owned by a considerable number of aristocratic families. Documents on the history of preservation and destruction are kept in and near the castle.
A walled tomb at the main entrance is reminiscent of knight Adam Gall von Gallenstein from the 16thcentury. A granary from the 17thcentury withstood the attacks of the Swedish army during the Thirty Years’ War.
The princes of Liechtenstein gave the castle its contemporary shape. Prince Emanuel and his son Johann had the building and the interior renovated towards the end of the 18thcentury. Also, a romantic landscape garden and a perron on the west side, as well as a balcony with a view to the castle grounds have been built.
In the nearby forest, a trip to the “Hanslburg”, an artificial ruin which has been built on a prehistoric local mountain, is worthwhile.
In 1834 the castle became the property of the Italian-born earls Piatti, whose descendants are still living in and managing the buildings these days. Family Piatti’s collections – porcelain shards, pewter figures, as well as classical state rooms and mural paintings – can be admired in the castle museum.