The Room of Shards
For generations the earls Piatti collected porcelain produced by prestigious manufacturers from all over the world. 80% of those are typical imports for castles from Japan (50%) and China (30%). The remaining 20% are European porcelain. The oldest pieces date back to the year 1670, Kakiemon style, Japanese and Chinese.
Recent findings suggest that the collection started with Japanese pieces. From 1670 to 1750 Koimari, which is old Japanese porcelain, was collected and constituted approximately 90% of the collection. In the course of the world exhibition more Japanese items were added between 1870 and 1880. The European exhibits originate from the period between 1750 and 1870.
Even though the owners hid the valuable pieces in the basement towards the end of the Second World War, the majority of the collection was destroyed during the riots of the occupation period. The castle was the base of the Russian occupation troops that shattered the porcelain in search of valuable items. The shards that were found in the buildings and in the park have been arranged according to manufactories. The collection of shards, the fragments of furniture and the signs in Cyrillic that are all exhibited in the former state room, which has been unaltered since 1945, reveal the senseless violence of wars.
A Japanese team of researchers led by Professor Arakawa is currently attempting to document the collection and to restore especially valuable pieces.